Friday, November 16, 2012

A Week of Firsts!

 I knew that keeping up with this blog would be hard once real life set in and we had a million things to do everyday, but I never imagined it would be THIS hard. I promise I will take more time to update from here on out, because otherwise I am trying to play too much catch up on what’s happening with me.

I will post a moving-in post after this one, as there are some funny stories about all of that, but for now – the week (plus 4 days) of firsts!

Last Monday was our first night in our apartment. We brought a mattress for the guest room in Aunt Pat’s truck with us so we had a place to sleep the night before our furniture arrived. We also set up Jason’s computer so we had something to watch – The Muppets! I don’t think he was as excited as I was about watching it.

We also made our first visit to State Street to look at furniture at Macy’s. It was also my first foray into Chicago parking garage parking… one hour and $32 later, I realized next time I go downtown to shop, I am taking the El.

Last Tuesday was our first day of unpacking. (Yes, we still are unpacking and although we are very close to being done, we aren’t done yet…) It was also election night, our first in Chicago. What did we do? We watched The Muppets. Mainly because I fell asleep 10 minutes into the movie the first night.

Last Wednesday was my first Chicago job interview. I had applied for a position online before we had driven into Chicago and they emailed me on Tuesday to see if I could attend a group interview the following morning. I could! Thank goodness for wide open schedules. Wednesday we also got cable and internet – and set up the TV. We were finally connected to the outside world again! The first thing we watched was something on HGTV, mainly because we were (and are) still trying to figure out how all the channels are arranged. It feels like they are scattered throughout the listings..

Cable installation in and of itself was an interesting first. It was the first time the Cable Guy has ever had to climb onto my roof to see if he could find the cable line. It was also the first time the Cable Guy has ever had to climb up the telephone pole to connect the cable to the lines.

Wednesday also brought my first trip to a Chicago suburb to go to Ikea. I still am trying to get used to paying tolls for just driving down the freeway.

Thursday was more of a “second” but I had my second interview for my first Chicago job. Followed by my first trip home on the bus! It was also my first chance to walk around Chicago alone a little bit, wandering the big, bad, mean street Michigan Avenue, right past the John Hancock building.

Friday… well Friday was my FIRST DAY OF WORKING! I was offered a part-time seasonal Educator position at Lululemon on Rush Street in Chicago. So Friday was my first day of training. I am so excited to be able to be part of the Lululemon Team. As I mentioned on facebook, two years ago I couldn’t fit into Lulu clothes, and here I am two years later a team member, getting to be a face and educator of the brand. I am so proud of myself and my journey and the things I am able to be a part of and accomplish now.

Saturday and Sunday were our first weekend in Chicago. I wish I could say that we went wild and crazy celebrating that we are finally here, but in all reality we spent our first weekend looking at more couches, unpacking more boxes, hanging curtain rods, building bed frames and watching movies sitting on the floor (since we have yet to buy our first couch).

Monday was my first birthday (in Chicago)! I cannot believe I am 30. It just sounds weird to me. Having my first birthday so close to our moving to a new city was hard. I missed my family. I missed my friends. But then I got to go to deep dish pizza with new friends! How many people get to say they celebrated their entrance into a new decade by moving to a new city, in a new apartment and starting a new adventure. Not many. I am excited for all the things my 30th year is going to bring me.

Monday was also my first meeting with an employment agency in Chicago. The meeting went really great and I was excited about all the possibilities working here could bring me.

Another first on Monday? My first Chicago “snowfall”! It wasn’t a lot, but it was enough to see on the cars!

Tuesday was my first real day of working at
Lulu. I had so much fun training on the floor and am looking forward to a great holiday season with the amazing people I am so fortunate to be able to work with.

Wednesday was my first “full-time” job interview. I can’t say that I was a perfect fit for the job, but it was a great experience to get an interview in and see how the process differs from the process in San Francisco. I am really excited and nervous about my job search, but I really do have faith that the right position for me will come along. I just hope it’s sooner rather than later!

I really do feel like I am still living in a dream. I wake up every day and cannot believe that I am finally here, living in Chicago. We planned this move for so long and stressed out about the move so much that to be here, unpacking and trying to find jobs has been surreal. There have been scary, freak out moments here too – what if we don’t find jobs, what if Jason doesn’t find work soon – but everything will work out the way it needs to. Things have really been going well since we have been here, and I believe this is where we are supposed to be right now.

I am looking forward to more firsts here in Chicago. Especially my first holiday season here. They are gearing up for next week's Thanksgiving Parade down State St. I can't wait to see the Christmas decorations in all their glory! 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are doing great! Love the posts, keep up the good work. Job hunting is so hard. I am super impressed you found yourself something to keep you busy so soon. More good things will come as you two make your little place in the world.